Not Your Average Sportz Team

All about our funniest Wildcats

Photo provided by:Wikimedia Commons

A laughing emoji to show this story isn’t about your everyday sports.

KaitlynO, Staff Reporter

The Cypress Woods Theatre Company is in full swing this year with the many productions they have planned for the school year. Along with all of that, some of the theatre arts students are also involved in our Comedy Sportz team, which is different than their productions.

“ComedySportz is an improv team where we play competitive improv games,” sophomore and team member Alyssa Whitfield said. “It’s to test your quick thinking and intelligence as well as your reflexes.”

Though being funny is an important asset to being on the team, you may need some other skills too.

“You have to be really intelligent to be in ComedySportz because sometimes you have to think of words that start with certain letters, and we always make a lot of puns,” Whitfield said.

Interestingly, it was not even the theater directors idea to make a ComedySportz team.

“ComedySportz started in 2017 due to the demand of our students wanting to experience improvisational theater in a competitive way,” ComedySportz coach Chelsa Johnson said.

Although it has only been in action for a couple of years, the team was still successful in their first year.

“Last year, we made it to the city championship, and we made it to the final round within that competition,” junior and team member Daniel Webb said.

Just like any other sports team, the ComedySportz team has to practice and prepare for their first competition.

“Our first match was Wednesday, Oct. 24, and it was just one against each other, where we split up into two team,” Webb said. “It was mostly just for practice for the new teammates.”

Their first real competition against another high school was on Friday, Nov. 2, at Bridgeland high school.

“To prepare, we have the Game-a-Thon at the beginning of this year where we worked with the Houston professional team, and they taught us the games we use in the competition,” Webb said.

While also being a good way to show your quick thinking and intelligence, ComedySportz has other reasons that made students want to join.

“I joined it for the fun, honestly,” Whitfield said. “I’m also in theater, and ComedySportz is kind of a big deal to us because it’s a very exclusive team. Only about 10 kids get on the team every year.”

These students are all on the team because they are very talented, but there are still some areas they would like to improve on.

“I would like to improve on my teamwork, and I would also like to bond with some of the members on the team,” Whitfield said.

Eventually, this year’s ComedySportz city-wide competition will come, and although that is later in the school year, the directors are hoping for their students to win it all.

“Our students involved in the ComedySportz team this year are super energetic and extremely confident, and I can see them carrying the team to the finals and bringing home the award,” Johnson said.

Competition season is not in full swing yet for these Wildcats, but they will certainly give their 212 effort at every competition, hoping to make it to the finals.