The Crimson Connection

Sink or Float?

The Aqua-man movie is here!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sink or Float?

By Flickr user Gage Skidmore

By Flickr user Gage Skidmore

By Flickr user Gage Skidmore

PaigeR, Assistant Social Editor

This movie has been highly anticipated since Justice League where we got our first look at Aquaman [Jason Momoa] and his striking eyes, it didn’t disappoint, with a few exceptions.

When I first sat down in the big comfy movie chairs I was ready. It started off nice with a forbidden love story about Arthur Curry’s [Aquaman] parents. It tells us how they met and even though it may have been a little cliche, it was still sweet,  then they had to ruin it with robot bad guys. They looked ridiculous, like a mash-up between Star Wars and power rangers. I mean I get that they live underwater, but really? With that aside, my favorite part personally was the graphics. It was amazing how most of this movie was underwater, yet it didn’t look cheesy, it looked really good and realistic. Moreover, the combat scenes and battle sequences were stunning. In the background, while they were fighting there was glowing coral and sea animals that really added to the scene.

Additionally, as most DC movies suffer from doom and gloom, this one strayed from that a little bit with more of a fun and relaxed vibe. There was also some pretty funny one-liners and bits that made me smile, including the bickering between Arthur and his love interest, Mera [Amber Heard]. Mera is an Atlantan princess who wants to save her home with the help of the one true king who she believes is Aquaman. Their relationship starts when she uses her powers at the beginning of the movie to save someone important to Arthur, this was also the first time they introduced her powers, and I gotta say it was a very powerful moment.

Overall I think the movie could have been better, but I would still recommend going to see it, not for unrealistic robots or some scenes with lazy writing, but for a new adventure that could be the beginning of a new path for DC.

About the Writer
PaigeR, Assistant Social Editor

Hi, my name is Paige and I am currently a sophomore. This is my first year working on The Crimson Connection and I am a Staff Reporter. Some of my favorite...