The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Teen Book Con

For young readers, TeenBookCon is a great opportunity to meet like minded individuals who love young adult novella. Hosted at different schools in Texas each year, the convention is free to enter and hosts panels for many young adult authors.

Within these panels, authors are put together in groups based on the kind of works they create, such as graphic novels or fantasy, and students may choose which panel they’d like to go to at each given time. The panels are all question and answer style, with the authors answering any of the students’ burning questions.

Pre-signed copies of the authors’ novels are provided for purchase by the main sponsor of the event, Blue Willow Book Shop. At the end of the event, students can get their signed books personalized with their name or get their personal copies of books from any author signed, one with each book purchased at the event.

“My favorite part [this year] was definitely the author signings,” Daemon Taylor said. “I was the first in Jason June’s line, first to get signed, and I got a picture. That was very exhilarating for me.”

Different activity tables are provided throughout the entire event, during and between panels. This year, the activities included pin back button making, friendship bracelet making and trading, and different small games for the students to play.

Free copies of books-in-progress and memorabilia were provided this year, with the items being passed out in mystery tote bags for the students to look through as they waited for the signing to begin.

Lunch, while not provided, was available for purchase from a variety of food trucks and a concession stand. Students were able to choose when they wanted to eat and even enjoy spending time with people they’d met through the shared interest of the young adult genre.

Overall, TeenBookCon is a wonderful way for young readers to connect with those like them, meet authors they love, and meet book-lovers from across Texas. One of a kind memories await for book lovers and socialites alike. For those that didn’t make it this year, be sure to keep your ears and eyes open for TeenBookCon 2025, and ask the librarian for details next school year.