The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Woods welcomes its newest Wildcat

Lloyd Turner has spent the last 14 years furthering the minds and education of young minds. He started his career at Homes Lee Elementary and Saphir High School as a student teacher. Which brought Turner to his first official teaching job at Hamilton Middle School as an adaptive behavior teacher. From there he moved from school to school in CFISD leading him to where he is today. The third principal at Cypress Woods High School, and the youngest high school principal in the district.

“Woods has such a strong tradition with the 212 spirit,” Turner said.” All of the students embrace that mindset and attitude of one extra degree.”

With traditions that pre-date many of the students in attendance at Cy Woods. Many are looking to see if the everyday life at Cy Woods would be uprooted without former principal Gary Kinninger. Though Turner has no intent to disrupt the 212 lifestyle many have taken upon themselves.

“I want to add value. I think that Cy Woods has a very strong legacy with 212,” Turner said.” There’s not a lot to change on a well oiled machine.”

Cy Woods is a large building full of thousands of students and staff. For Turner going from Principal at Aragon Middle School to Cy Woods there were many adjustments to be made. With so many more students the struggles of knowing, and understanding the entirety of the student body became an unattainable task. Though this fact has not discouraged Turner from attempting to learn names, and the personalities behind them. Though he doesn’t know the student body as he would like to. Turner still is excited to help prepare every 2024 Cy Woods graduate for the journey to come.

“It’s hard on a high school campus to get to know all of the kids,” Turner said.” Just wanting to know as many students and their names. Getting to know you guys is important to me. And that’s a challenge on a campus of this size.”

Every day Turner attempts to better himself and everyone around him. He starts his day with a segment of his favorite book about leadership “The Maxwell Daily reader”. Turner hopes to bring his leadership to the 2024 graduates and help prepare them for the many journeys that are to come

“I’m excited to be back on a high school campus,” Turner said.” and being a part of graduation and seeing students walk across that stage. That’s a big part of your life as a high school student, graduation and preparing for life as an adult.”

Graduation is also a time to remember the principal that led students through one of the hardest times in their lives, high school. With 12 years of service as principal of Cy Woods, Gary Kinninger will without a doubt be greatly missed. Though the legacy he leaves behind will be preserved through the 212 spirit of Turner.
“I’m super impressed with the level of spirit,” Turner said.” The level of excellence I see in the classroom and outside of the classroom. And everything they do, they do it with a level of excellence and expectation to be the best and I love that.”