CWTC’s First Annual OAP Festival

The four student directed plays taking place Tuesday

This year has been a big one for Cypress Woods’ Theater Company. A record number of shows, a successful UIL season and a play recognized and performed at the state thespian festival. To end the year with a bang, we are putting on one more show- or rather, four more shows.

The theater company will host a One Act Play festival for the first time this Tuesday, March 28th. Four plays will be featured, all student directed, cast, and produced. The plays feature all students in the production level class who were not involved in UIL, and was open to the entire company for auditions.

The showings of the plays will begin at 4 pm, with The Death Of A Salesman by Arthur Miller. At 5 pm, Lucy In The Sky, by Tony Layton, will perform. Next, at 6pm, will be The Children’s Hour, by Lillian Hellman. Lastly, at 7pm, will be Something Rotten In The State Of Denmark, by Joseph Wallace. They will all take place in the auditorium and admission is free. 

To end the evening, the cast of the UIL One Act Play competition participant, Rhinoceros, will put on one final show at 8 pm. The four shows will be critiqued by a panel of judges. Awards will be given for best overall production, best actor, and best actress.

While this is the first time Cy Woods has hosted a competition like this within it’s own company, the process has been moving along well, giving every student willing to work a chance at the UIL experience. The directors hope to make a tradition out of the festival, and most likely continuing it next year.