All Star Champion

The Teen With a Black Belt

All Star Champion

KaylaP, Staff Reporter

Sophomore Tj Reeves proves that hard work can pay off with his black belt in taekwondo. Starting at 5 years old and continuing now at 15, Reeves not only participates in the sport but teaches it to others as well.

“I started [taekwondo] when I was 5 years old and I began because my parents thought it would be a good thing for me to learn because it taught me discipline and working with others,” Reeves said.

From beginning with a white belt, Reeves progressed to a black belt by practicing the martial art often and going to practice after school at All Star Martial Arts.

“It took me 4 to 5 years to get my black belt because I was so young,” Reeves said. “The belt colors display your ranking in comparison to other students. Some colors mean that you are more experienced in this martial arts.”

Reeves not only has a black belt in the sport but teaches it to others who wish to earn a black belt some day as well.

“I started working [at All Star Martial Arts] at 14 years old because they needed the extra help and it was a good learning experience because it taught me how to work with kids and be a leader,” Reeves said.

By working with other students ages 5 through 12, Reeves gets to see them become better acquainted with the sport.

“The best thing about teaching people is that I get to see their progress firsthand,” Reeves said.  “I see how white belts don’t know how to do anything from kicks to punches, but in a few short months, they make unbelievable progress.”

Taekwondo offers more than just a fun experience, as Reeves has learned.

“It can keep you in shape, helps you lose weight and it teaches you how to defend yourself,” Reeves said.

Taekwondo can be beneficial to many, just like it was to Reeves and taekwondo can teach its students more than one lesson.

“I’m glad I started taekwondo because it was a fun activity to take part in and it gave me confidence that I wouldn’t have gotten otherwise,” Reeves said