Wildcat Returns Home

Alum comes back as math teacher

LeahT, Staff Reporter

When most seniors leave high school, they intend on never coming back. Math teacher Anne Quillin is not one of those people.

Just a short four years ago in 2010, Quillin graduated as a Wildcat. This year she as a precal and calculus teacher.

“I loved the school spirit,” Quillin said. “I felt like I could relate to the students because I’ve been where they are.”

Straight out of high school Quillin became a Longhorn and graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a degree in education. Now, at age 22, she is teaching students just four years younger than her.

“It’s kind of funny actually,” Quillin said. “I enjoy it a lot because I get to interact with them and I’m able to relate to them because I’m not that far in age.”

Quillin’s students also find it easier to work and connect with her.

“I like how she can relate to us since she went to this school and had a good time here,” senior Jenna Polivka said. “Because

Whenever you walk in the room you can feel her energy. Her happiness is contagious

— Jenna P

of that she encourages people to have school spirit and go to games.”

Senior Jenna Dukes agrees.

“It definitely makes learning easier,” Dukes said. “She can break it down and knows what it was like to be a student here.”

Quillin’s students not only appreciate her understanding of the teenage mind, but also enjoy her class because of her uplifting outlook.

“She always has a positive attitude,” senior Sal Sandoval said. “She makes a positive environment in her classes. She makes learning fun.”

Sandoval is not the only one who notices Quillin’s perspective.

Quillin was also a Crimson Cadette, on the second, third, and fourth line.

“I loved it because that’s how I made all of my friends,” Quillin said. “I felt like it connected me to the school more. I felt more a part of it.”

Years after graduating, Quillin lives out the most treasured verse of the alma mater, “of Cypress Woods we’ll always be a part”.