The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Winter Rant in 212 words

November is plagued by arguably the worst thing that has happened to American society; Christmas music.

This music is so mind-numbingly plain and simple that it completely strips music of what makes it special– relatable lyrics, a good rhythm and a meaning that really speaks to the soul. Every time Mariah Carey starts to hit her high notes, it makes chewing glass seem like the most appealing thing in the world.

The songs are overplayed, and so little thought goes into creating Christmas music that the artists are skinned of any credible or authentic originality and instead stamps a big red bow on them that screams “washed out” and “useless”– much like this genre of music. Christmas music as a whole has the arrogance and unearned audacity to claim to be the best festive music when it’s nothing but irritating. The bells are aggravating, the lyrics are lifeless, the beat sounds unoriginal and the songs are violently overplayed.

Plain and simple, there is no one above the age of four that genuinely believes that Christmas music is relatable or meaningful, and it leaves music soulless. Christmas music as a whole deserves to be put on a shirt and retired as a music genre entirely, and the downfall of Christmas music should be effective immediately.