First Round Down

Student passes the first rounds of Americal Idol auditions

Every year “American Idol” holds auditions in different cities. People often go home crying and heart broken after the first round, but sophomore Dalvin Davis has gotten through the first round.

Dalvin passed the first round of “American Idol” tryouts, in Austin, Texas this past July. The second round is on October 27.

Some people make it, a lot do not. People go in with the motto let the best singer win.

Dalvin felt good when he advanced to the next round.

“I was very relieved and ecstatic,” Dalvin said. “I just thought it was amazing.”   Trying out for “American Idol” does not come easy for everyone. Some people get butterflies in their stomach while others take it head on.

“I was very nervous, but I think the most nerve-racking thing was seeing the producers,” Dalvin said. “The mood of the tryouts was very emotional people were tearing up as they walked back into the waiting room, it was very nerve-racking.”

Dalvin draws strength from his family.

“I would have to say my biggest supporter is my twin brother Devin,” Dalvin said.

“I believe Dalvin will go far,” Dalvin’s sophomore twin Devin Davis said. “He has the total package. I will be the proudest twin ever if Dalvin wins.”

On “American Idol” when people try out they try to stand out with a really crazy act, but Dalvin is doing something very familiar.

“I’m playing the ukulele, and singing because both of them are my passion,” Dalvin said.

Dalvin is not the only talented one in the family. His mom and dad sing as well.

“I don’t really sing. That’s more of Dalvin thing; on a scale of one to ten Dalvin is a ten,” Devin said. “My mom and dad sing really well (too).”

Most people find the judges scary, but Dalvin felt different about it.

“I’m not really intimidated by the judges,” Dalvin said. “I feel very laid back when I sing in front of them.” 

This is not Dalvin’s first rodeo. He has tried out for many other TV shows.

“I did ‘The Voice’ which was also in Austin, TX”, Dalvin said. “I also did ‘America’s Got Talent’ which was a couple of years ago.”

Dalvin is very determined to win this contest but he stays humble through it all.

“Dalvin is like the best brother ever, he doesn’t act like he’s better than anyone,” Devin said.

Dalvin’s friends feel the same.

“Dalvin is so sweet,” sophomore Angela Salazar said. “He’s such a good friend and he will do anything to help anyone.”

When Salazar heard about Dalvin going to the next round, she was ecstatic.

“I was not really surprised because Dalvin sings very well,” Salazar said.

Dalvin is truly a performer. He is very confident about the next round.

“I participate in the school talent show every year, when I sing I feel like everything in my life that is going bad just goes away,” Dalvin said. “The second round is October 27, after that round then I will go on to the tryouts that are aired on live television.” 

Dalvin plans to go all the way with his singing career, and he is very driven to get there. He will not stop until he makes it. 

“I plan to sing professionally and sing all types of genres,” Dalvin said. “I think I’ll make it pretty far because I have the passion and the drive.”