The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Mums for life

Homecoming, a Texas tradition that has lasted through a multitude of generations, began with small, real flowers and just a few ribbons hanging underneath that were pinned to a shirt and worn throughout the school day and sometime at the football game later that night. In recent years this tradition has been magnified to the largest scale. CFISD is no stranger to this tradition. But there is one thing that is different at Cy Woods: the 212 spirit.

Mums for Life is a tradition in CFISD led by student council members who use donated materials to create homecoming mums and garters for students in the special education program. This year, an exchange ceremony was added so that the council could personally gift students with a mum and celebrate homecoming with them.

With streamers, balloons and signs, student council made sure homecoming would be one to remember. The teaching theater was filled with football players, cheerleaders, cadettes and administrators to celebrate the handing off of mums alongside the students.

Brittany Ho, who is the Pride and Patriotism Executive Chair for the student council, helped organize the event, providing an unforgettable experience for everyone involved.

“It’s a really special heartwarming moment,” said Ho. “I get to do it every single year, and just seeing the students feel more included is nice.”

mums were taken by the student council then personalized for the student that was to receive them. Freshman and sophomore students received a mum with Cy Woods crimson and gold, juniors received silver and white and seniors were adorned with gold and white.

“I think it helps boost school pride,” said Ho. “Not only for life skills, but all of the other organizations involved.”