The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Farewell, Mark Henry

Mark Henry has been the superintendent of the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District (CFISD) for 12 years, but will now be retiring after 42 years in the field of education. He plans to retire after the second semester is through. On September 13,  Henry participated in a press conference with all high school student media in CFISD at the Mark Henry Administrative building which recently finished construction in January of this year.

As Henry’s retirement closes in, the press conference allowed him to personally answer questions many students have not had the opportunity to ask.

Henry spent years growing CFISD and working to provide an education for every child in the area, helping to create programs to nurture interests in athletics, fine arts programs, career-tech courses and more, showing the students that they can choose any career that may draw their interest. 

“I’m not going to know you all by name,” said Henry. “But I want you to feel like you know me.”

As CFISD grew, Henry worked to maintain connections with the ever growing population . Creating the Superintendent’s Fun Run to give back to the community and students. Raised funds to provide scholarships to students in need.

“They’re supporting a great cause,” said Henry. “ The idea was certainly to raise money for scholarships, but what it turned into is a great community unifier.”

Though there were many ups and downs during Henry’s time as superintendent He saw the district through every time. One of the most notable times that Henry led was during COVID, as children were taken from school in early 2020 without knowing when they may return. The last time the US had experienced a pandemic like this was during a time without the technological advancements that are possessed today. This meant that Henry had the opportunity to keep students at home and safe, but also still learning.

“I don’t think we made any mistakes based on the information we had that day,” said Henry.

Even through tough times Henry stayed with CFISD. But with 42 years in education Henry had decided this year is his time to retire. 

“I didn’t want to quit early,” said Henry.” It was just time to do it.”

Creating a bigger and better district for students to grow and become the better versions of themselves has been Henry’s top priority. Though this may be the end of his time as superintendent, it is not an end to his time with CFISD. With multiple grandchildren pursuing an education in the district, Henry looks forward to watching the district continue to grow under new leadership.

“When I was going to leave CFISD superintendent, I had to make sure I had beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was ready to go,” said Henry. “I know it’s the right time.”