Studying Tips and Tricks

Ways to improve studying to succeed in class

Congerdesign

Coffee and books being used to make studying comfortable.

ReganG, Staff Reporter

Here at the Woods we are blessed with great courses and curriculum. In order to succeed in school it takes an extra effort. However, studying may not be the most pleasurable activity, but it is the golden ticket to good grades. Here are some tips to set yourself up for success:

1.Find the right work space

Before you actually start to study, make sure you have all the materials that you need to study, as well as enough space to spread out. For some, having a clean work space is necessary in order to concentrate, but for others a more cluttered space will benefit them more. Find out what works better for you and apply it to your environment. Additionally, make sure you are comfortable and able to keep distractions to a minimum.

2. Time management

Don’t cram and wait until the night before to start reviewing for a big test. Create a schedule to follow and spread your studying out over a few days in order to better retain the information. In addition, reserve a set time to study so you don’t lose track of time. 

3.Actually study, don’t just read  

Many students consider reading over their notes and past work as studying, however this is not the case. Re-reading does not help your brain absorb the material because you are not being actively engaged. Instead, trying some of the following to study more effectively: Make flash cards, diagrams, study guides and even your own quizzes. A great way to find out if you’re studying is by teaching another person the content. If you can explain the topic thoroughly to someone else that means you have a good understanding.

4.Create a reward system

In order to stay motivated, make small goals and reward yourself when you complete them. For example, when you finish reviewing a chapter reward yourself with a small break or snack. Choose a reward you will look forward to getting and you will never lose your motivation to study.

If you use these tips, your next study session is guaranteed to be less painful and a little more enjoyable. Keep on persevering through the tough study nights and remember that it will all pay off in the end.