The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Golf in full swing

With the Cy Woods golf team only just having their first tournament Jan. 2,there is still so much to look forward to for both the women’s and the men’s teams. With one of the best golf teams in Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District last school year, earning themselves second place in the district. The 2023-2024 year brings hope for another wonderful year.

Coach Kelly Klare, used to working with the large football team, also coaches golf. With a smaller team, the impact he provides is much larger. Able to know each of his athletes more personally, the connections Klare makes with the team is something that sticks with him.

“We spend a lot of time on the course together,.” Klare said. ”You really get to know them, when coaching football there are so many of them out there, and golf only has 14 kids.”

The last three years, the team has qualified for regionals, a major feat as only the top two teams are able to move on from district to regionals. Many of those on the team take part in private lessons outside of team practices, which are usually once or twice a week, depending on the weather. As many sports have recently converted to turf instead of real grass, this isn’t an option for golf. The ground they play on affects where and how fast the ball will go, so weather is a large factor for their tournaments and practices

“Qualifying for regionals the last three years has been one of the greatest achievements for golf at Cy Woods,” Klare said. “In Golf this is really hard to earn, with only two teams in the district that move onto regionals.”
After a slow start last year, regionals were huge for the team, and with seniors that left and freshmen joining, this season could lead to new and exciting things for the team.

The girls and boys golf teams look forward to new challenges in the upcoming season. Their district certification will take place on April 10, and will hopefully bring them to the state tournament at White Wing Golf club on May 6 and 7.

The growing popularity of the sport will surely bring a crowd of support for the wildcat golf teams. With each success these wildcats show their 212 degree effort every week even through simple practice days.