The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Team of the issue: Volleyball

The women’s varsity volleyball team places high in district play and brings home wins consistently. Despite this, due to the timing of their season, volleyball is oftentimes overshadowed by the hustle and bustle of back to school, homecoming and football games, which are oftentimes scheduled at the same time as volleyball matches.

With many of their games being rivalries, the games are nail-biters. These suspenseful games on Tuesdays and Fridays create an electric energy in the stands and the court.

“People should come out because it’s a very fast paced game with a lot of energy on the court,” said varsity junior Katy Oetken. “We play at 5:30 in the gym at our school.”

The Cy Woods volleyball district record stands at 200 wins and 66 losses with 12 total playoff appearances in all of school history. In 2010 they advanced to the State Semifinals.

“We work hard to be able to beat the hard teams,” said Savannah Nelsen. “Every day we practice and we get better and better thanks to our amazing coaches.”

Along with their success on the court, the team consistently dominates in the classroom, receiving 222 Academic All-District Awards and 65 Academic All-State Awards. The ladies also received the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Team Academic Award every year from 2007 to present.

“They’ve sustained their success for 17 years, so it’s just expected that they’re successful,” said Ashley Caballero, the varsity head coach. “It’s just an expectation that they’ve set.”

On and off the court, the team shares strong bonds with each other. These connections have bloomed through playing together in club volleyball and in middle school, and through pre-existing friendships that are enhanced with various team-building events.

“They work really well as a team,” said Caballero. “They’re selfless; They’re absolutely selfless.”

The dynamic of the team translates to their ability to dominate in games and tournaments. Having a strong team dynamic is crucial to success because without it, athletes are playing as individuals rather than a team.

“We’re very much a family; There’s no drama,” said Oetken. “We’re all really good friends with each other, and we’re just trying to have a good time.”

The voices of the ladies on the sideline and the court are loud and supportive, bringing them closer together as teammates. No matter if they lose or gain a point, they huddle together and encourage each other for the next play. The positive reinforcement helps the players pick their heads up and forget about previous mistakes and celebrate their successes .

“We harness the energy from the audience and run with it,” said Oetken. “The audience helps us get back on our feet if we’re falling down.”

The cohesiveness of the girls catches the attention of those on the sidelines and the stands. This quality allows them to further be successful against their competition.

“There’s no selfishness, there’s no attitude, and they’re constantly getting bragged on by people for that,” said Caballero. “They’re just great kids and fun to watch.”

The players feel that the energy and voice of their team is important as well because volleyball is all about encouraging each other.

“It’s fun to just lead out on the court   and keep the energy high because that’s a big part of volleyball,” said Oetken.

Their love for each person on the team further emphasizes the reason that students, parents and staff continue to go and watch them play. The love and support from the student body to volleyball is one of the reasons that contributes to their overall success on the court.