The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Putting in the work

Last year, the Cy Woods baseball team advanced to the UIL State Baseball Tournament, leaving those on the team with memories and inspiration to set new goals for themselves for the upcoming year. All team members hold their own goals, but most players have similar aspirations.

To win districts and advance in the playoffs is among the new heights Mcclane Helton, senior first base, wishes to reach.

In preparation for the physically demanding tournaments, the players had to stick to a strict schedule to get ready to face the competition. To improve their team chemistry, the team participated in team dinners and weekly batting practice. 

“We just try to do everything as a team,” Helton said. “I would say we work together really well. That’s why we win some of the ballgames we do: because we work.”

While the team has many scheduled practices, some players put in extra time to work on personal goals to give their best to the team. Showing up early and staying late, this team puts in the extra degree to beat other teams in the district, like Cypress Ranch or Bridgeland. 

“As a team, we practice day in and day out, coming up in the mornings for morning weights, staying late after practice to hit alone. I think that we’ve well prepared ourselves,” Jack Kemper, catcher for the team, said. 

Practices have high tension around tournament season because the players know how much work is required. Team members focus on their strengths and work hard to improve upon their weaknesses in an attempt to lead their team to victory.

“Practice looks a lot different from tournaments to districts; We have to do a lot more to get ready for the games because they’re a lot harder,” Cameron Neumann, junior pitcher said. “We do more work in practice and focus on certain things that we need to do better.”

Beyond the advice and inspiration that coaches provide to the players, another important thing that players note is the coaches’ ability to support their love of the game itself. By fostering the players’ love for the sport that some had played since they were in kindergarten, the coaches aim to keep their passion alive. The coaches have a passion of their own: helping team members develop goals for themselves and giving them the tools they need to achieve them.

“They’re always there for us. We’re constantly watching videos on our swings. They’re helping us out, and always giving us good instructions,” Kemper said. “I’m hoping to lead the team to a district title and maybe a deep playoff run.”

With every school in the district working against each other in competition, all players are driven by a competitive spirit. By using their finest skills against opponents, ambition is heightened as teams fight to advance and claim a district title.

“It’s a lot more competitive and it has a high energy, you have to stay focused more during the games,” Neumann said. “When the atmosphere has that energy and you know there’s lots of fans out there, it’s just so fun.”