The Crimson Connection

Seeing Both Sides

how complaining about favoritism is inconsequential

A graphic of the word bias continuously repeated.

Mental Floss

Mental Floss

BrandonC, Staff Reporter

Everyone can agree on the fact that favoritism in any situation is wrong.

Let me preface by stating that I am proud to admit that I am on the receiving end of the favoritism. There are always two sides, or even more, to any story or argument, and any situation involving favoritism is not an exception. As a disclaimer, I completely agree with the statement that favoritism is wrong both ethically and morally, but here’s the thing: complaining about it and hating on the people who are receiving the biased treatment will not change a single thing. 

Whining about how someone else is always being favored, and seeing them only as “the one the teacher likes most” will not change anything about your overall character or personal qualities besides making yourself look even worse.

Favoritism is a fact of life. No matter where you go or what activities you participate in, favoritism will always be prominent. If someone really feels that this behavior is biased and unfair, they should instead improve in the necessary fields. If that does not suffice, they could also address the situation with the individual causing the conflict, in this case, the teacher.

Throwing around needless negativity only decreases morale and ultimately harms not only your peers, but also your reputation and image. As someone who has received this negativity, I proudly proclaim that the perpetrators will not get the best of me. Many times I have addressed this situation, and many times have people told me that I do not have the right to an opinion because I am on the receiving end of the positive favoritism. This makes no sense whatsoever. In what universe did I suddenly lose my right to have a voice just because I am better off than others?

Once again, I would like to state a disclaimer: I am not defending the action of favoring certain people based on personal feelings. Instead, I am simply addressing the fact that there is nothing positive that can directly result from sending hate towards people receiving biased treatment. They may see me as someone who is consistently receiving undeserved biased treatment, but I have moved on. I have grown past this issue, and never will I let this negativity bother me anymore.

About the Writer
BrandonC, Managing Editor

I am a junior and it is my first year on the newspaper staff. I also play viola in the orchestra. My favorite color is anything pastel and I enjoy cute animals, reading fantasy novels, experiencing new cultures and Korean music. I do not enjoy anything physically taxing.