David Beats Goliath

Wildcat baseball topple top of the standings Cy Ranch

BillyS

Fan Ryan Kenny pours his heart out as the winning run was scored in the game against Cy Ranch

BillyS, Online Editor

A barrage of warnings come from the aluminum stands and people frantically try to move away from wherever the ball may hit. The away section stood tall and yelled mightily as their team dove across the plate for what would eventually be the game winning run. It was not their field but it was their night.

The Wildcats struck out four off the arm of senior Matt Swick and held the previously undefeated Mustangs to just a handful of hits as they made their way to a 2-1 win in seven innings. The Wildcats, now tied for first, still have plenty of games left to prove themselves as one of the best in 17-6A but this win against the Mustangs may prove to be a catalyst for their success when they look back at the end of the season.

After a quick three outs the Mustangs mustered up one point in the bottom of the first but that was the only time they would be able to put together enough hits to change the scoreboard.

In the top of the fourth it was Garrett Kellogg-Clarke who was driven across the plate off the bat of Zach McAdams with two outs. The crowd erupted as he trotted across the plate but when McAdams found himself diving across, narrowly beating the throw, he was met by thunderous applause from his student section.

The Wildcat fans made it a point to be as rowdy as they could to rattle the opposing pitcher and when the final out was all said and done, they had done their job.

The Wildcats face Cy Ranch again on March 31 but in a home match-up that could very well help determine the playoff seeding. For now, the Woods sit at 16-4 and are preparing for another tough game come friday night.