UIL Auditions

Students audition for UIL One-Act Play

UIL+Auditions

MaddyP, Staff Reporter

Today, students from all level acting classes, technical classes, and even no theatre classes, took their shot at auditioning for the prestigious annual UIL one act play. UIL is a competition within schools all over Texas, all fighting to put on the best show.

According to the University Interscholastic League’s website, the One-Act Play Contest, founded in 1927, is the largest high school play production contest or play festival in the world. More than 14,000 Texas high school students in more than 1,200 plays participate in 300 plus contests which take place from the beginning of March through the three-day, 40-production State Meet One-Act Play Contest.

Competition isn’t just tough between schools. The UIL one act play calls for a very limited cast and crew, limited by official UIL requirements. With a growing theatre company, the number of students not chosen for cast or crew grows every year.

Last year, the One-Act Play, Arthur Miller’s The Crucible, made it further than Cy Woods Theatre UIL had gone in years. This year however, the process is slightly different, as the play has yet to be announced. The theatre directors have announced that the play this year is going to be decided based on the auditions they receive.

Actors were told to prepare their “best work” for auditions. While the pressure seems daunting to some actors, junior Hunter Schwartz who was a part of UIL last year, has seen how the work pays off.

“It’s all worth it in the end,” Schwartz said.

Actors aren’t the only one who face the pressure. Technical positions require equal preparation, and equal anxiety waiting for the cast list. Senior Blessing Beverly tried out for a technical position for her first time.

“I interviewed for tech, and even though I thought it would be easy, it was pretty difficult,” Beverly said.

Auditions were completed today, including callbacks directly after. The cast list will likely be posted within a week, and the UIL process will take place in the spring.