Cypress Power Outage

Homes all across the Cypress area suffer outage Tuesday evening

BillyS

The black out struck just moments before Cy Woods was supposed to start their volleyball game against Cy Creek.

JordanM, Editor-in-Chief

A fire broke out a CenterPoint energy plant on Tuesday evening, resulting in over 75,000 Houston-area homes without power according to abc13.com. The cause of the outage was determined to be an accident according to Chron.com.

Though the outage only lasted for an hour or two for many, customers were told the wait could be much longer than that.

“Due to fire damage, we are asking customers to be prepared to be without power for 10-12 hours.” CenterPoint Energy said in a tweet around 9:30 Tuesday evening.

The energy company offered a tip to those who were suffering from loss of power in an attempt to expedite power recovery.

“Affected customers can help us by turning up their a/c to 78 or higher to reduce electric load,” Centerpoint Energy said in a tweet.

Although many CFISD facilities, including the gym where the girls’ volleyball game was held Tuesday night, suffered from power loss, the district did not cancel school, warning students and parents to be careful on their way because of powerless traffic lights.