Top 10 Common Mistakes Freshman Make

KiaraS, Staff Reporter

DSC_0226 C

1. Slacking off because “freshman year doesn’t matter…”-
The bottom line is that your freshman year matters. It matters a lot actually. Your freshman year is the foundation for your class rank and GPA. It is way more difficult to try to raise those two things rather than maintain them. Do your work and study to get good grades.
2. Don’t challenge yourself enough-
Only taking lower level classes because you don’t want to work hard will harm your GPA and eventually college admittance. It is important to find the balance between easy and hard.
3. Challenge yourself too much-
Only taking AP classes may be too much to handle. Some people may be able to handle such a rigorous schedule but most people can’t balance all upper level courses while maintaining a healthy social life and family life.

4. Don’t get into the “212” spirit enough-
At Cy Woods the 212 spirit is the most important asset to the wildcat attitude. Enjoy the crazy school spirit and live in the 212 spirit. You will have more fun during your years in high school.
5. Not joining clubs-
Joining clubs not only helps your college resume, but clubs help you find a new network of friends who share the same interests as you.

6. Focusing on popularity-
The invisible social ladder doesn’t exist. Having a huge group of “friends” is not nearly as satisfying as having a smaller group of actual friends that you trust.
7. Choosing to not take all 4 core classes throughout high school-
With the endorsement/foundation program class 2018 and later are no longer required to take all four core classes. While this may seem like a great opportunity it really isn’t, colleges don’t know, or care about what endorsement you choose. It is also possible to earn more than one endorsement, so really there is no reason to not take all four courses.
8. Not going to tutoring-
Going to tutoring doesn’t make you a nerd or a loser. It means you care about your education enough to improve your grades. If you need help go talk to your teacher and go to tutoring.
9. Only taking a class because your friends are taking it-
You and your friends can still be close if you aren’t in all of the same classes. Take classes because you are interested in the subject. If your friend loves culinary and you love theater, take theater. You don’t have to have the exact same high school experience that your friends do. You’ll be happier in classes you enjoy.

10. Not studying-
Yes Netflix is great and it’s calling for you but so are your textbooks and homework. Studying is not all that enjoyable (especially reading notes) but it is still important. Study hard and make good grades.