Thoughts on Oregon

DIGITAL+CAMERA

DIGITAL CAMERA

BillyS, Staff Reporter

Over the weekend I took a trip to the Pacific Northwest and really embraced what the culture is like up there, as well as gawked at the natural beauty that they pride themselves on so deeply.

I witnessed mountains that kiss the clouds as I drove through what felt like a Bob Ross painting with all of his “happy little trees.” I stood in awe as I experienced downtown Portland. The food trucks sit parked all in a row surrounding two whole city blocks, and each cart had food that tasted better than the next. I sat in a handmade chair in what felt like a classic London pub that had remained unchanged since its opening in 1879.

The burger and artisan fries I ate were exquisite and highly recommended for anyone that chooses to indulge themselves in a lean cut bison burger and fresh cut fries at “Huber’s.” Bartenders served up “Irish coffees” in a brilliant fashion, spinning the glass around and proving the art of their craft and only enlightened the experience when they set the coffee ablaze, while I am under aged for this hard drink, I simply sat idly by and admired as the server dazzled the guests of the restaurant.

When I left the restaurant I found myself wandering around the endless streets and witnessed more beautifully painted donuts than I had ever imagined at the ever famed “Voodoo’s Donuts.” The vibrant colors and icings sparkled as the workers bragged about their all regional products to a line that wrapped around the entire block.

After witnessing gluttony I walked back to my car a few blocks away and reminisced on the beyond phenomenal food I had and I can almost guarantee that a sparkle took my eye under the street lights as I had a noticeable joy overwhelm me.

I enjoyed a pleasant night in one of the friendliest hotels I have ever stayed at and arose early the next morning so I could make the most of my time and hit the road in my rented Ford Fusion and set off for Eugene.

Immediately after leaving the parking lot I commended the great state of Oregon for caring so deeply about their roads and proving them to be perfectly paved. Not a single crevice hit the bottom of my tires and everything looked like it had been freshly laid. Soon after getting on the Interstate I was surrounded by the aforementioned trees that seemed to have swept me into some sort of fairy tale. I meandered through wine country and the never ending rows of these trees and found myself surrounded once again by mountains that stretched for the heavens.

After a vibrant two hour drive to Eugene, the second largest city in Oregon, I was found in the college town that it claimed to be. Modern style architecture and rounded steel building crowded the streets and the effervescent yellow and green lit the cloudy skies.

I soon found myself wandering around the campus of the acclaimed University of Oregon looking for where my guide should be for the eminent tour of their grounds. After a look into what I may call my future home, I was met by the athletic facilities for their student athletes that are even better than I imagined.

After leaving the facility I witnessed the march of the ducks as the football team leisurely paced to their buses for a trip to Autzen for the approaching game against a potent Cal-Berkeley team.

Though I did not stay for the game, I was able to enjoy the scenery once again as I admired the ravenous beauty of the Northwest despite the rain that decided to overtake me.

Once I arrived back to my hotel room, me and my family decided it was best to stay indoors and not risk our safety in the torrential rainstorm that had been going on, though had it not “rained on our parade” you better believe that I would have been at the famed “Multnomah Falls,” which is said to be one of the most beautiful places in the United States. So instead we watched college football and ate chocolate, still not a bad fate.

If you ever are presented with the opportunity, be sure to take it and witness the majesty of the Pacific Northwest for yourself because these words are not powerful enough for you to truly enjoy what is the culture and breathtaking scenery of the area.