What’s Defense?

Whats+Defense%3F

BillyS, Staff Reporter

I’ve watched football for a few years now, and never have I ever seen a team score 73 points in one game and still lose. The Cy Woods Wildcats, 4-6 (4-5 in district) managed to lose to the already play off eliminated Jersey Village Falcons, 3-7 (3-6 in district), by an astonishing score of 73-74.

The wind blew mightily and the score was resultant of this through the quarters. In the first, Jersey village had the ball with the wind and put up 27 against the Wildcats 13. In the second, when Cy Woods had the ball, the Wildcats managed to put up 25 to the Falcons 6. The wind died down but came back stronger than before in the fourth, with the Wildcats against it, and if you want, you can attribute their loss to this factor.

The quarterback for the Falcons was responsible for 10 touchdowns. Ten. He threw for six and used his legs for the other four. In the first quarter alone he must have thought the game was a track race and blasted down the field for two runs of over 50 yards capped by a touchdown.

The defense for either team was nonexistent, and it was almost as if there was no one out there at all and both teams combined for a total of 1,643 yards, new record in CFISD history. Speaking of records, heading into this game, Cy Fair held the record for points in a game at 71. Cy Woods broke the record with 73, then Jersey Village broke the record with 74.

On the Falcon final drive of the game, they did the same thing they had done all game. Throw the ball to the big guy down field. The falcon quarterback, despite over throwing most of his receivers in the first half, he managed to settle down and find his guys for massive gains in the second. He finished with 579 passing yards and 753 all purpose, I mean, wow. And that absolutely enormous amount of yards also puts him at 13th in the state of Texas for passing yards in a game. Not to mention, his 10 touchdown performance is the most in a Texas High School Football game since 1937, and he is now tied for second in Texas history for touchdowns in a game.

Yet another record, Jersey Village’s 886 yards, yes 886, ties them for fifth all time in High School Football. Fifth, in the nation, and of course now first in Texas. CJ Jones also managed to break a record himself by running for the most yards in a single game in CFISD history and setting the mark at 346.

Nine records were set in this game, four team and two individual, and one more if you count abstract. Most yards, most points, you name it.

This game was one of historic proportions, unlike anything most people have ever seen before. The wildcats are hanging on to a look at playoffs by the skin of their teeth. They need Cy Fair to lose to Cy Ranch in order for them to make it, provided that the Wildcats beat Cy Springs this next week.

*Stats acquired via NFSHHA, Max Preps, DCTF, and TXHSFBRecords unless otherwise noted.*