The student news site of Cypress Woods High School

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

The Crimson Connection

Farewell Mr. K

Farewell Mr. K
Kamari McCray

Gary Kinninger was named principal of Cypress Woods High School on Dec. 19, 2011. Since then He has brought the school through many ups and downs. Through flooding and pandemics he has never backed down from the challenges the job poses.

Kinninger’s first day at Cy Woods was Jan. 6, 2012. He took over for the previous principal Sue McGown, and though those were big footsteps to follow in he never disappointed.As he has led Cy Woods to become one of the best high schools in Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District. Though with achievements such as that Kinninger still feels there was never enough time.

“There was never enough time.” Kinninger said, “I wish I could have spent more time with people.”

Despite missing Cy Woods, life has to go on. Kinninger plans to move to Florida and help further the education system for a small amount of time, then coming back to Cypress to see his Grandchildren grow up.

A legacy is what Kinninger leaves behind. That Legacy is everything Cy Woods stands for. From the time each and every student became a freshman at Cy Woods the words “don’t forget to put in the 212 effort” was a motto lived by. Kinninger never forgot his 212 effort. Every day out of the 11 years he has put in at Cy Woods he made sure to put in that extra degree. And now it is time that torch is passed down to a new generation

The new principal of Cy Woods will be Lloyd Turner, the current principal at Aragon Middle School. Though at the time Kinninger did not know Turner would be the one to take over, Kinninger mentored Turner into becoming a better principal. Making sure that Cy Woods and all of the student body and staff are in good hands.

“It’s called incremental growth, that extra degree.” Kinninger said, “We have continued to grow academically, athletically and curricular wise.”

Though Kinninger is leaving behind the entire student body, his actions and words as principal stick with every single student.

“Take care of what you have.” Kinninger said. “Be proud of what you have to keep working for. Because I think we sometimes take for granted what we have here every day. We’re really blessed.”