Q&A with Munzy Kabbara
We talk all things swim and the Fina World Championships.
February 7, 2019
When, where and who did you swim for at Worlds?
- “Worlds were from December 11-16 in Hangzhou, China, and I swam for Lebanon.”
How did you get to swim for Lebanon?
- “I was born in Houston not Lebanon. However, my dad is Lebanese and my mom is American; therefore, I have dual citizenship.”
How long have you been on the Lebanon National Team?
- “I’ve been on the Lebanese National Team since I was about 14, so about two to two and-a-half years now.”
What was the process for qualifying for Worlds?
- “Being the best all-round swimmer in the country of Lebanon, and making the B Qualification cut.”
At what age did you start swimming?
- “I started swimming at the age of 9 in Dubai for my school.”
What is your best swim event?
- “My favorite and best event to swim is the 400 meter individual medley(IM) which is 100 meters of each stroke butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle”
Do you have any pre-race rituals or superstitions?
- “Yes I listen to music and pray for God to give me the best…even if it means losing the race. This is a very important thing for me to do behind the starting blocks because it calms me down.”
Did you set any records at Worlds?
- “I became the fastest person to ever swim the 400 IM and 200 Fly in Lebanon’s history. I broke two national records, both set very recently by a 19-year-old. “