For A Child’s Success

working with teachers to promote student achievement

April 17, 2018

In this day in age, parents can be heard ranting about how awful their children’s teachers are and how unreliable public schools can be. Although not all modern situations are ideal and can be difficult, parents should be present in their child’s education by preparing him or her for a classroom environment, respecting teachers, communicating with teachers and reviewing progress. Some parents of elementary school children may not see a need to be involved in their kid’s classroom because they believe it is the teacher’s only job to educate their kids. While that is a teacher’s job, students with learning or behavioral issues inhibit the rate and level at which an educator can teach. If a parent cares about their child’s education he or she should make an effort to teach discipline and respect to their child so that the teacher can thoroughly and efficiently teach a whole group of children. With every disruptive an ignorant child in a classroom, the entire class can be slowed down as a teacher attempts to push a student to reach necessary achievements.

Parents should respect teachers for who they are as educators. They are not babysitters, individual tutors or horrible people out to fail children. Before a parent rises to blame a teacher, they should remember that all public school teachers have a bachelor’s degree and are completely credible and prepared for their career. When meeting a teacher, a parent should attempt to reach a level of familiarity so that any issues can be comfortably communicated.

When parents do not communicate with teachers, important details such as behavioral issues, at home influences and other potential learning inhibitors can be missed, creating conflict in areas of learning. Teacher and parent partnerships in a child’s education can lead to higher grades and test scores, regular school attendance, graduation and continuation to a post-secondary school.

Parents should regularly ask about their children’s day at school and specific subjects to have an idea of how they are managing and if needed, how they can help. Students spend at least 7 hours at school, 5 times a week, so a teacher may spend more time with them than the parent. Therefore, it is vital that teachers inform parents of any possible problems or ways that they can support their child’s education at home.

Clearly, parents should make an effort to prepare their child for a classroom environment, respect teachers, communicate with teachers and review progress. In this way students will be motivated to attend school, participate wholeheartedly and learn for adults and learn from adults that encourage their education.