How to be an Activist
tips every activist needs to practice
February 22, 2018
With all the protesting going on in Florida about gun laws, from walkouts to rallies, activism is a very prevalent topic in America right now. However, one thing that no one ever talks about is how to become an activist. Here are five things every activist needs to take into account:
- KNOWLEDGE: The first thing every activist needs is knowledge on the subject they are protesting. In order to be an effective person in the protest, you have to know what you’re talking about so that you can inform people of why the cause is important.
- TAKE IT SERIOUSLY: Another very important thing is to take the topic seriously. If you want others to hear what you have to say, you need to show them that you’re serious about your cause and actually want change. Being silly and joking about the subject is not going to make anyone want to help out or change anything in any way.
- THE RIGHT REASON: This is vital in an activist. Participating in a walkout protesting gun violence just because you don’t want to go to class is not going to help the cause. You must be protesting for the right reason: change.
- PASSION: This is an important quality in any activist. If you want change, you need to be passionate about the subject because it will result in greater participation. If you are passionate about the topic, you will genuinely want to help the cause.
- ANY WAY YOU CAN: Being an activist doesn’t mean that you go to every rally or make speeches. Posting about the subject on social media, blogging and educating yourself about it are other ways to help the cause. Spreading the word through social media is very important as it is the main source of information for many people. Activism comes in many different forms for different people, so just find the way you feel comfortable with. Change starts with one.