Singing it Out

The senior who spends her time writing songs

January 10, 2017

Camryn Jerding

Camryn Jerding’s cover for her single Letters.

From childhood, many students dream of living the famous life as an actor/actress or a singer. They dream of the fame and fortune along with millions of adoring fans around the country and the world. They see icons like the Kardashians, Brad Pitt and Ariana Grande and aspire to be like them. However, most students, eventually move away from that dream to other aspirations. Senior Camryn Jerding is not one of them. She has held onto that dream and is trying to live it.

Jerding writes her own songs and posts them on SoundCloud. For nearly ten years, Jerding has written songs and loved making music. She spends her spare time writing songs and recording herself singing them which she takes and publishes them for the world to enjoy.

“It’s my way of showing how I feel, my emotions,” Jerding said. “I write songs like Taylor Swift, but it’s a lot easier than paying for them to be on iTunes. It’s easier to upload it and get it out there for people to hear.”

While making music is fun for her, Jerding still has to work sometimes to find inspiration for her songs.

“It’s different for everyone,” Jerding said. “For me, it’s personal feeling. Sometimes, I don’t have anything to say, so it’s hard to write a song. When I do have something to say, it’s easier to sit down and write. I just splat it with music.”

It’s my way of showing how I feel, my emotions.

— Camryn Jerding

By using her emotions, Jerding has been able to create her own signature style of music that helps her distinguish herself from other artists on SoundCloud.

“My brother calls them dead puppy songs,” Jerding said. “It’s because I write really emotional pieces. It’s kind of like an Adele style.”

Jerding first started writing songs when she was eight years old and has greatly progressed since then.

“It was really bad, but it was a start,” Jerding said. “I’ve come so far. Instead of saying things that don’t go together or repeating phrases, I have a verse, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus and end.”

Jerding likes many of her songs, but of all of her songs, one of her favorites it the single, “Letters”.

“It was one of the songs that I wrote completely by myself,” Jerding said.

Jerding is hoping to continue posting on SoundCloud and is working on a major project that she hopes to post.

“I am actually working on an album right,” Jerding said. “I’m doing it on my own money, so I don’t know when it will come out.”

With high school quickly coming to a close for her, Jerding is making plans to go beyond SoundCloud in her music career in college and find her way into the modern music industry.

“I am going to Belmont University to study music,” Jerding said. “I am going for Music Business, so I have a backup with a BBA in Business which I can do any business job with. I will also be in Nashville, so my campus is five minutes from music row. I have all the studios there.”

View Comments (3)

Comments (3)

All The Crimson Connection Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

MomJan 12, 2017 at 3:33 AM

My baby girl what more can I say! You just simply amaze me everyday!

Reply
  • K

Karen JerdingJan 12, 2017 at 2:31 AM

I am so very proud of you. Keep me posted on your journey and sucess.
    Love Ya,
    Aunt Key Key

Reply
  • U

Uncle BeepJan 11, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Way to go kid we’re all proud of you here in Wyoming
    Don’t forget to send tickets for your first Grammy nomination

Reply
3