The Crimson Connection

Living With a Skin Condition

My perspective of my painful skin

Provided by: Pixabay

Provided by: Pixabay

AlyssaT, Staff Reporter

I have a condition called Atopic Dermatitis, or as most know it, eczema. I have dealt with this since it started acting up at age three, and now I’m 16. Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin which means that my skin gets inflamed very easily and starts itching, burning and in a lot of frequent cases, bleeding.

I often get asked, “what happened to your arm?” or “are you okay?” and I always answer that I’m okay and that I just have dermatitis. People often ask if I’m sunburnt or allergic to something–I’m not. I’ve gotten asked if it’s the same as psoriasis (which is scaly skin). Growing up, I never really thought much about it as a kid, but as I got older, my dermatitis made me increasingly insecure about myself, especially since during middle school when I started getting acne, and it was difficult to keep covering my arms and my back because I prefer the cold.

Although I still haven’t been able to be completely comfortable with my skin, I’m learning. Dermatitis affects 17.8 million children annually, and it’s a big pet peeve of mine when people who have never had eczema or anything similar tell me I should be grateful. My skin is uncomfortable and painful. Sometimes, I neglect my condition, and it takes a while to clear up the redness. I have been prescribed an ointment from my doctor in the past, but I never really use it and instead, normally use a pearl cream or alkaline water.

So far, I have only met two people who understand what I’m going through, one being my age. To most people around me, it doesn’t seem like anything worth worrying about, but for me, it’s another medical responsibility that I have to keep up, or else I’ll get it on my calves, the tops of my wrists, shoulders, eyelids, the insides of my elbows and my back.

Dermatitis isn’t a thing I’m able to ignore, and I am wholeheartedly grateful for the people around me that aren’t getting onto me every time I neglect my condition and still accept me as a person no matter how gross I feel or look.

Provided by AlyssaT
My right arm neglected.