Person of the Week: Jennifer Santos

The junior with a foot in everything

ColinH, Staff Reporter

Junior Jennifer Santos is definitely not one to be missed. Normally spotted in red health science scrubs, she is involved in many things from choir to the health practicum program. These two things revolve around her like planets around the sun, as she contributes a great amount of time to both of these activities.

“My sister was interested in the same thing, the medical field. She is three years older than me, so seeing her go through that path and being successful in it made me want to do the same thing,” Santos said. “I got involved freshman year. I took medical terminology, and then principles of health science, and then this class now with the rotations”.

She has also used these skills for a benevolent purpose; she volunteers over the summer at various hospitals across the Cypress and North Houston area.

“In the summer, I volunteer at North Cypress, and they have a summer program and you basically get to shadow a nurse or a doctor and see what their job entails and stuff like that,” Santos said. “I also did volunteering at Memorial Hermann, and it was a similar idea”

While health science has been a more recent interest of hers, what has really resonated is her outstanding voice.

“I was in choir since fourth grade and I’ve just done it every year since,” Santos said. “I just like making music, and having the meaning of the words.”

Just being able to create that… it’s great for me

— Jennifer Santos

She has been actively involved in choir ever since striking that first note back in the fourth grade, and regularly competes in choir competitions. Sometimes, she goes solo in an American Idol style competition, and sometimes goes with the backing of her entire choir.

“We have the all-state process every year. It’s a series of auditions, where each one gets more challenging. You learn nine pieces of music, and you audition them through a couple of months,” Santos said. “There’s five auditions, and I’ve made it to the fourth level. There’s solo and ensemble, which is an opportunity to preform in a group or a solo in front of a judge to get a rating. And then UIL competition of course, or just our performances every year.”

Clearly, Santos is a well rounded individual with a bright future ahead of her. Many people wouldn’t pair choir and health science as two things that one person would take part in, seeing as the two are on opposite ends of the science-art spectrum, as I like to think of it. But everyone has something unique to share about them, and Jennifer Santos is no exception.