Jacquelyn Burke at the spirit store (MiaL.)
Jacquelyn Burke at the spirit store

MiaL.

Person of the Week: Jacquelyn Burke

The Cy Woods VIP with a whole lot of spirit

October 11, 2016

She responds to the sound of students bustling in the hallways, and answers questions like, How much does this cost? Does this come in a large? Her name is Jacquelyn Burke and she is a proud VIPS of Cypress Woods.

“We sell the spirit items for the school, “ Burke said. “We sell class shirts and any other [items] that school teams or clubs want to sell.”

Burke’s school spirit has been here for quite a while in the district.

“I have been in the school system doing spirit stores for several years now.” Burke said.

After all this time Burke has built  a personal mantra to help her do best.

“Just a positive attitude,” Burke said. “I make sure I’m up beat and have the school spirit, and the kids will feed off of my energy.”

Offering only the best to the students who ask for the best prices from the spirit store.

“Anything we have clearanced out,” Burke said. “Anything price pointed at $5 or under will sell really well.”

Also allowing clubs or organizations to present their own shirts to sell.

“We welcome any school organization to develop a T-shirt and if they would like to sell it for a profit or fundraiser,” Burke said. “Of course they have to get approval through the proper channels of the school, but  we welcome them to give it to [the VIPS] to sell.”

Burke encourages anyone to wear the school shirt they like, while also being a professional salesperson.

“There are other options, right now we have a shirt that is $2, and the only thing people don’t really notice is that it says 2015,” Burke said. “But it’s still a school spirit shirt, and anybody can wear any class, any year, and if you like the shirt you can rock it.”

Even Burke can’t pick a favorite shirt because her school spirit is just too strong.

“I love all the shirts,” Burke said. “That’s Cy Woods spirit I mean I will rock a band shirt I don’t have a student in band, but I know parents who have kids in band.”

The VIPS are careful in preparation for the day, and do their best to be eye pleasing to the students passing by.

“We try not to make it too cluttered,” Burke said. “Because the kids won’t see everything, we keep it simple [so students can see the prices of the items] that’s all they really want to know.”

“Meeting the students, that’s what I enjoy”

— Jacquelyn Burke

Burke loves the little things that selling at the spirit store has to offer a VIP.

“Honestly, just meeting the students that’s what I enjoy,” Burke said.

Burke has a son here at Cy Woods who takes pride in the work his mom does for the school.

“He loves it,” Burke said. “He will volunteer with me if we have a shop that opens up on Saturday. He will come a help me, and run to get the T-shirts and brings them to parents or customers.”

In the end the one true thing that helps Burke be the VIP she is, is close to the heart of Cy Woods.

“Just the sheer Joy of making a child happy.” Burke said.