The Crimson Connection

Chaos in Charlotte

Protester shot one day after killing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chaos in Charlotte

BenG, Staff Reporter

Another man has been shot in Charlotte, North Carolina following the killing of Keith Lamont Scott on Tuesday.

The victim’s identity as of this point has not yet been released by the Charlotte Police Department, but was confirmed to have been shot by another civilian and was identified as a protester in the wake of the killing of Scott by Brentley Vinson, an African-American officer with two years of experience with the department who, at the time of the shooting, was not wearing a body camera.

Scott was a 43 year old African-American male, who, as reported by the police, refused to cooperate with police ordering him to put down what they believed was a gun. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney maintains the police’s stance that Scott was armed, and was not carrying a book, as reported by Scott’s family. The family maintains that Scott came out of his car carrying a book, as he was reportedly reading while he waited for his son’s school bus to arrive.

US Attorney General Loretta Lynch has said the Department of Justice with be assessing Scott’s death, while also looking into the killing of Terence Crutcher of Tulsa on Friday. Crutcher was also killed in a controversial case of police against African-Americans in Tulsa, OK.

“These tragic incidents have once again left Americans with feelings of sorrow, anger and uncertainty,’’ Lynch said.

An eyewitness account of the protests stated that the protests became violent quickly, with the throwing of rocks and bottles at the police by protesters were matched by tear gas, agitating the crowds, who then reportedly set fire to a trailer, looted a Walmart, damaged two police vehicles and shut down a portion of Interstate 85.

“Keith was a loving husband, father, brother and friend who will be deeply missed every day,” Rakeyia Scott, Scott’s wife, said. “As a family, we respect the rights of those who wish to protest, but we ask that people protest peacefully. Please do not hurt people or members of law enforcement, damage property or take things that do not belong to you in the name of protesting.”