Juniors Win PowderPuff

Juniors shutout the Seniors in a Powder Puff game for the ages

BillyS, Sports Editor

The field is damp from the recent rain and the air is humid as a warning of the rain about to come, but that didn’t stop junior and senior women from competing in the annual Powder Puff football game. The junior team proved mighty all game long and hosted a shutout. When the final buzzer went off, the scoreboard read 19-0. An assuring junior win.

“I thought we were going to kick their butts,” senior Celeste Tidwell said. “But you know what, at the end of the year we get to graduate and they’re still stuck in high school.”

Coming into the game the seniors were ready to take an easy victory but the junior coaching staff wouldn’t have it. The junior coaches urged their team to trash talk back and stand up for themselves.

“Everyone was sleeping on us and we knew that so we played with a hard edge and we just came out and we played lights out,” Offensive Coordinator Mario Trevino said. “I just felt so proud for the girls, they played really well.”

The seniors were not too upset about their loss because they gave it their all, but the juniors were ecstatic as they were able to assert dominance over a previously confident senior team.

“Our team came out and they started out a little scared, but once they got the first points on the board they were ready to play,” junior coach Ryan Kenny said.

The juniors were not scared for very long, after scoring on the very first play of the game on the legs of Iquo Ating from 75 yards away, using pure speed and athleticism she willed her way into the end zone. But junior Paige Sebesta was named the MVP after making plays all over the field from Quarterback to receiver to linebacker and defensive line.

“It was just a great team and we played really well when we needed too,” Sebesta said. “All the girls were super cool and it was a lot of fun.”

The juniors had a coaching staff that would not accept defeat and showed no mercy, throwing the ball the entire game, even down to the last three seconds.

“We put in a lot of work and it was tough practicing and I just feel elated and I think the team deserves it,” Head Coach Sam Landingham said.

The juniors patiently await the powder puff game next year and will hold the Spirit Stick high until then, but for the next few weeks, they will hold bragging rights.