What’s Wrong with the Cy Woods Defense?

BillyS, Staff Reporter

It’s only been a couple games and a scrimmage but the Cy Woods defense has looked just plain bad. Over two games the ratio of scored vs. scored on is 80-93, two games. The defense might give up 500 points, but if we score 501 it won’t matter, but so far, that isn’t looking too good. At 1-1 (1-0 District) these are things the defense can do to improve.

• Stop the Run 

One of the biggest problems our defense seems to have, after these first couple games, is fitting in the right gap. Whether it’s the A, B, or C, the most important role is to fill the gaps and not let opposing running backs diffuse through the line of scrimmage. If you are giving up over 3 yards a run every time the opposing team runs, you are not doing a very good job, and that problem needs to be addressed immediately. You cannot expect to win many games if you can’t stop a run right into the meat of your players.

• Utilize Brandon Deprato

Brandon Deprato is easily one of the best linebackers The Woods has seen in the last few years, in just the first two games he has over 10 tackles for loss, multiple swats, including two against a high power Cy Ridge Offense, and more tackles than he should have. Not to mention athleticism, every down you will see him sprint across the field to get in on the play. If the coaches can properly align him, there will not be a player that gets past him.

• Experience

Young players in a new system do not often create a good mix for a successful football team. Many of the starting defenders include young but growing talent including the likes of Myles Wilson, who had a 79 yard fumble recovery for a touchdown taken back for a block in the back, Neil Chambers, who you will always find terrorizing quarterbacks, and Tobi Orundami, a sophomore who creates a well felt presence on the defensive line. The list goes on, but these players have all become instant impacts. Giving them experience will certainly help build a tradition of well-oiled defense for at least the next few years.