The New Papa Wildact?

The man behind the C-Dub call

Gail M, News/feature Editor

He was known as the man with the thunderous voice yelling, “30 SECONDS WILDCATS,” before classes.  Since he has been a part of the Wildcat family, much more has changed other than the wondering silence before the bell rings. Since he has arrived, the atmosphere has changed, and it is not just on game days, it is every day. He is the man who has adopted the C-DUB call as his own. The man who has pumped up the students like never seen before. The man who gives the heartfelt spirit speeches. The man who has been adopted as “Papa Wildcat.”

Associate Principal Dirk Heath came here at the beginning of the 2012 school year, and since then has slowly begun to emerge as a spirit leader on campus.

“Mr. Heath is a positive force,” Director of Instruction Kelly Ellis said. “He bleeds Crimson and Gold and his love for the Wildcats is contagious!”

Before Heath became part of the Wildcat family we were at an all-time spirit low; Heath brought the spirit back.

“Before he was here it was kinda dull,” wide receiver Mason Roberts said. “You had the coaches there, and you had the AP’s trying to get all crazy, but none of them stuck out like Mr. Heath has.”

Heath has been a key element at most pep rallies, but his breakout performance was at the traditional midnight pep rally. Heath’s thoughts behind the scenes were not as loud and bold as originally portrayed.

“To be honest, I was mortified,” Heath said. “I really thought out the midnight pep rally was going to set the tone for the year.”

Heath views his encouragement as the push that this school needs, and that push needs to be more than just him.

“I had a number of students complain to me last year, ‘It’s just not what it used to be,’ and it always bothered me,” Heath said. “I like to win, but, that’s not just on me. It’s on the entire school.”

The inspiration coming from this emerging leader is not just impacting the students, but the staff as well.

“Mr. Heath is so positive that he makes work not seem like work,” Ellis said. “He brings out the best in me and those he comes in contact with.”

Our former Principal Sue McGown seemed to fill this roll of a spirit leader, but since her departure that role has been empty. That is until Heath came to the school.

“Replacing Sue McGown, that’s what he’s doing,” Roberts said. “Better than Sue McGown. How it was then is how it is now.”

To Heath, the goal has never been to replace anyone, only to pump up the school.

“I want to be a good example of 212, both here at school and in my personal life,” Heath said. “It’s something I have to work at, to be a good man to lead a good life, it’s something I work and pray about regularly.”

Heath’s main goal does not rely on having the most spirit in the entire district; it is much more than that. It comes back to the success of the students.

“What’s most important to me is that the coaches, the teachers, as well as our students,” Heath said. “No matter what they’re competing in, if they give it all they’ve got, I couldn’t be prouder.”

Heath’s spirit was a surprise to most of the school, but his past explains a lot of his enthusiasm.

“Mr. Heath was a cheerleader at Sam Houston State University,” Ellis said. “He is an awesome cheer leader for Cypress Woods now!”

Heath is persistent in spreading the spirit throughout the school and keeping it going at an all-time high.

“We’re 212,” Heath said. “We’re going to win and we will not lose this spirit.”