So You Wanna Be a Star?

How to be involved in Cy Woods’ theatre

MackenseyD

The cast of Junie B. Jones performs “Top Secret Personal Beeswax,” the opening number, in rehearsal.

Growing up, did you spend hours in front of your television watching High School Musical? Did you dress up as Gabriella or Troy for Halloween and put on one man versions of “Stick to the Status Quo” for your family? Were Disney movies your go to movie to watch with friends? Did you ever dream of performing on stage in High School like Sharpay and Ryan? If you answered yes to any, or all, of these questions, then your dreams are about to come true.

At the end of the hall, behind the tv that tells you how much time you have to get to class and the APs that remind you to put on your lanyard, stands the Cy Woods auditorium calling to you like a siren at sea. Cypress Woods Theatre Company is waiting for you to show them what you’ve got.

To become a part of theatre at Cy Woods is very simple. All you have to do is go to www.cwtc.weebly.com and peruse through the theatre website. Under the button called “Callboard”, you will find all audition information needed to be on stage or behind the scenes. In addition to audition information, the calendar is posted on the Callboard as well as any and all google classroom codes. The callboard is where most information is posted, including school calendars, dress up days, letter jacket policy and additional buttons to more specialized information.

If you are interested in auditioning for the big musical this year, Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella, all you have to do is join the google classroom, with the code 6wpbrwt, and read the audition information. Auditions for Cinderella are Nov. 4 and 5, right after school.

What are callbacks? Callbacks are when the directors liked what you did in auditions and want to see you do something else. This could mean sing another song, read aloud from the script or even dance. Sometimes in callbacks the directors simply want to see how you look next to another person. For instance, before they cast a mother and a daughter the directors have to make sure the two actresses look like mother and daughter. Unless the show is a farce, a seven foot tall boy would probably not be a four foot tall girl’s daughter. Callbacks are where the directors can see, visually, what different versions of a cast would look like.

If the idea of standing on a stage in front of the whole school makes you quiver in your boots, the curtain is not closed on your future in CWTC. In fact, the theatre is always in need of more technicians. Technicians are not just the people who click buttons or push sliders, they are also the students who assistant direct, stage manage, build the set or even design the whole show. Not many people are aware of this, but here at Cy Woods students design what the set, costumes, sound, hair, makeup and lights look like. If you are an artist or a makeup guru who has always wanted to show off their skills, this is the place for you to do so. 

The theatre is a magical world and gives people a home to grow and create in. CWTC is a place for students at Cy Woods to make friends and become the best person they can be, on and off stage. There is a saying that is said a lot in CWTC and that is, “Act well your part, there is all the honor lies.” This quote means that when you come to theatre and you work hard to learn your lines, curl a wig, sew a sparkly suit or shine the spotlight you will have a place to belong and have pride in your life. There is not a better feeling in the world than working hard at something, finishing it and being proud of the work you put out. In theatre, thespian get to feel that wonderful feeling daily. 

I hope to see you all in the auditorium very soon. Until then, “parting is such sweet sorrow.”